Tuesday, September 9, 2008

An Artsy-Fartsy Drawstring Bag

the beading.the applique.the stitching.i wanted to make Amy's Velma bag. but opted to make Amy's In Town bag as it is similar to my own bags. i did make it a little longer. my big camera actually fit inside making the shape when full more rectangle than triangle. there was supposed to be 2 tote handles but wasn't reading the pattern and forgot to insert before stitching lining down. i hate to read patterns. so i sewed on 1 handle from side to side. i think it's easier to carry and fits nicely on the inside of your elbow. the Czech glass beads came from JoAnn's. 48 gr. a few beads were sewn in center of roses. the fringe took 747 beads. 20 strings with 25 beads. 19 strings with 13 beads. there were no beads left when i was done. i cut the roses from fabric and fused to another piece so that it would be durable. i had made an extra one that didn't work in front arrangement. so i applied to back and it kept the opening bigger and the drawstring from moving around. the velvet ribbon was obtained at a thrift store in a shoebox of old stuff. so you know it's the real deal. i placed the backs of ribbon together and did an over stitch to keep it together. finished it with a knot.i went crazy with this part. afraid of beads going everywhere. after tying 2 double knots inside i tied sections together once and then twice before trimming strings. this was really strong thread on wooden spools i bought at a vintage shop. they told me it was used to sew leather shoes.crop yourself skinny. & you're ready to go. if only it was that easy.Eileen of Eileen's Attic was the only one to guess correct. surprise. i've already contacted her to let her know that she will be receiving a gift sometime in the future. oh yes i might.

5 comments:

Eileen said...

I can hardly believe I won.. sweet! But now I am looking back through the comments, and I wonder if I must have just emailed you with the guess?
ANYway! It turned out beautiful! I think my favorite part is the stitching. I did not know this was going to be an Amy Butler bag. But it really did have all the attributes of being a very cute purse.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job. Well done Eileen. I was totally clueless.

Blakely said...

I know it would be absolutely gorgeous! Great job!

Pamela Joy said...

ahhhh . . . wrong again, lol! did ya make the purple top as well?

CJ said...

LOVE the bag! I have this pattern but have never used it. You have inspired me :D